Meet our MDS team for 2020
Here are the brave runners taking on the Marathon des Sables to support ex military
Walking With The Wounded has a tradition of turning up to the Marathon des Sables in numbers, and we are back in force for our 10th anniversary in 2020.
The MDS is known as the 'toughest footrace on earth' and involves running 6 marathons in 6 days across the Sahara. As one past fundraiser described it, it's "the equivalent of running from London to Dover, deciding not to go to France after all and running back again in 120 degree heat, with a backpack on and voices in your head talking about cold beer!"
It's an event that requires determination, mental strength and teamwork to succeed.
There is a rest day after the longest stage, but it may well take you into that day before you get to the finish. Competitors stay overnight in a bivouac village, comprised of tents that sleep about 8 competitors per tent - and your 'bivvy' team become your family, your support team, your nursing team and invariably they become long-term friends.
Walking With The Wounded is part of the history of the event now after Duncan Slater became the first double-leg amputee to finish the MDS and another team member, Tom Evans, recorded the highest-ever British finish, coming 3rd in 2017.
We started with a team of 10 for 2020 but due to fantastic demand are now doubling this to 20 to support even more ex servicemen and women through WWTW's programmes. Is it on your bucket list?
Introducing our team of fundraisers:
1. Sean Clark – Founder and director of online marketing agency Clark St James
2. James Lough – Served 10 years in the British Army before recently joining JP Morgan
3. Ben Williams – Ex Royal Marines, now co-founder of Vanguard Global Solutions and inspirational speaker
4. Ed Parker – Ex Royal Green Jacket, co-founder and CEO of WWTW, completed the MDS in 2016 and is going back for more
5. Jules Roberts – CEO of Sharegift and former Helly-Hansen-sponsored ultra runner
6. Tom Wilkinson – A coaching psychologist with lifeprint.fit
7. Rob Gibbs – Ex Blues & Royals, now financial services consultant with GFT Group
8. Chris Rosindale – Agency operations director for Yopa Property
9. Glen Watts – Ex Royal Welsh, now operations manager for security services company GardaWorld
10. Celebrity sportsman being announced in May
Want to donate? See our team VirginMoneyGiving page and individual pages here
Want to watch a documentary on WWTW at the MDS? Click here to see a film about on of our past MDS teams including GB Olympic skier and BBC presenter Graham Bell
Want to take on an event but after something a little shorter? Check out our Cumbrian Challenge.